The School of Health Sciences in Bytom was established in 2002 as one of the schools of the Medical University of Silesia. Our school currently provides opportunities to study public health and dietetics at the bachelor’s and master’s levels. At the beginning of the academic year 2014/15, we have launched PhD studies as well as bachelor and master degree studies in English.
In the field of research, our school’s employees conduct numerous research projects in areas such as: epidemiology, environmental health, biostatistics, health promotion, health policy and politics, health economics, health care management, and nutrition. Since the school was established, we have achieved a number of successes at the national and international levels. These include conducting and participating in research projects financed by polish institutions such as the Ministry of Health or Polish National Science Centre, as well as international ones, such as the European Commission. This wide set of achievements has allowed us to become a leading public health research center in Poland.
We are proud and honoured to announce that the School of Health Sciences of the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice has bee accepted into the ranks of the Association of Schools of Public Health of the European Region (ASPHER - Association of Schools of Public Health in the European Region).
ASPHER is a prestigious organization of the best organisations in Europe providing education in the field of public health. The main goal of the Association is to strengthen the role of public health in European countries by improvement and development of uniform standards for the training of specialists in this field – both, for the needs of practice and scientific research. The organization was founded in 1966 and today incorporates 100 institutional members from the WHO European Region., Acting through institutions employing over 5 000 scientists and experts in the field of public health, it is represented in 42 European countries. It also participates in a network of cooperation with similar associations in other regions of the world, as well as with other institutions in the field of public health, closely cooperating e.g. with the World Health Organization and the European Society of Public Health.
For the personnel of the Faculty, ASPHER membership means an extensive opportunity to establish scientific contacts with international research organisations and participation in new projects. The students of the Faculty of Health Sciences will benefit above all from the guarantee of the highest educational standards and access to study curricula corresponding to the up-to-date European trends. In addition, the students gain the opportunity to participate in numerous projects organized by ASPHER and its partners, including scientific conferences, summer schools as well as publication of their contributions in international scientific journals.
Faculty: DIETETICS, SECOND CYCLE DEGREE
Length of studies: 2 years (4 semesters)
The second-degree program in dietetics is addressed to graduates of the first-cycle studies in dietetics, public health (specialization: dietetics), nutrition, nutrition and food evaluation, food technology and nutrition.
During the course of the studies the graduates gain:
a. the knowledge of:
• principles of nutrition physiology and clinical biochemistry and their use in nutrition planning,
• methods of evaluation of the quality of individual groups of food products and their significance,
• essentials of clinical psychology and their use in everyday professional practice to solve complex health, social and family problems,
• principles of clinical nutrition including parenteral and enteral nutrition using industrial diets to prevent and treat malnutrition,
• team management principles,
• the basics of developing forms of individual entrepreneurship,
• regulations regarding official food control (Good Manufacturing Practice, Hazard System and Critical Control Points), compliance with the above in professional work and understanding their importance in improvement of food production quality,
• rules for the operation of equipment used in mass caterers.
b. the skills including:
• developing clear and understandable instructions for personnel providing nutritional care,
• theory and practice of marketing and management,
• providing nutritional counselling as well as planning and providing nutritional care for inpatients,
• determining indications using industrial diets available in Poland, dietary supplements and foods for particular nutritional purposes in correction of the eating disorders,
• planning, age- and physical activity-tailored, dietary management based on scientific evidence, to prevent diseases due to faulty nutrition,
• providing instruction for employees employed in food production , comprising organization of work stations and compliance with the principles of good hygiene and manufacturing practice,
• providing independent nutrition counselling for diverse population groups, both healthy and ill,
• conducting training programs in nutrition and dietetics,
• operation and management of a diet clinic/nutrition department.
c. the social competence to:
• continue education throughout the working life constantly update the professional knowledge and skills,
• manage the team implementing tasks in the field of nutritional education as well as prevention and treatment of nutrition-dependent diseases,
• compliance with professional secrecy and patient's rights, including the right to reliable information on proposed nutritional procedures.
The acquired qualifications enable a graduate to seek employment in public and private health care establishment, outpatient and inpatient nutrition departments (hospitals, kindergartens, schools, social welfare homes, sanatoria, prisons, restaurants, catering companies), dietary counselling centres and wellness clinics , sports facilities (sports clinics, fitness clubs, gyms), pharmaceutical companies producing preparations for enteral and parenteral nutrition, companies producing food for special purposes, health departments of local governments, sanitary and epidemiological stations, consumer and public benefit organizations, companies dealing with prevention and nutritional education, research institutes and institutions dealing with food quality assurance systems.
The qualification procedure for the second cycle degree program in dietetics is based on the grade point average obtained during the whole period of the studies (the grade point average is calculated as the arithmetic average of all grades for examinations and credits completing a given subject obtained during the entire course of the studies).
1. Register and make an account on SUM’s platform.
2. Follow the instructions and submit the application via the platform.
3. Attach scanned documents to the application.
4. Pay the application fee of 85 PLN.
5. Once the application is submitted, you will be notified through the University's online account or your email address regarding the status of the application.
6. Once the University Admission Committee verifies your documents, the candidate's number will be added to the ranking list.
7. If you will see on the ranking list the candidate's number with the mark next to it, and if it says' Pass' then you have gotten accepted into SUM and CONGRATULATIONS!
8. Candidate is required to send/post the printed & signed application form with original or notarised copies of all required documents to the University's mailing address before the start of the academic year 2023/2024 (before October 2, 2023).
Conditions and recruitment procedure for studies pursued in English at the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice in the academic year 2023/2024
Study Regulations of the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice
Regulations of Student Dormitory of the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice
Regulations for granting benefits to students of the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice
Candidates are required to submit the following documents to the Admission Committee:
All documents must be issued in English language. If the original document is issued in another language, a sworn translation into English is required.
Registration on platform – 28.04.2023 to 11.06.2023
Deadline for submitting documents – 18.06.2023
Entrance exams – 12.07.2023 to 19.07.2023
Ranking list – 21.07.2023
Complementary admission for the winter semester 2023/24
Registration on Platform – 22.07.2023 to 13.08.2023
Deadline for submitting documents – 20.08.2023
Entrance exams – 30.08.2023 to 06.09.2023
Ranking list – 08.09.2023
Summer semester 2023/24
Registration on platform – 16.10.2023 to 03.12.2023
Deadline for submitting documents – 10.12.2023
Entrance exams – od 08.01.2024 do 15.01.2024
Ranking list – 17.01.2024
The amount of tuition fees for students starting education in the academic year 2023/2024
Faculty of Health Sciences in Bytom program:
ADMISSION FEE - 85 PLN
ADMISSION LIMITS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2023/2024
|DIETETICS, SECOND CYCLE DEGREE||24|
ADMISSION LIMITS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2022/2023
|DIETETICS, SECOND CYCLE DEGREE||24|
ADMISSION LIMITS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2021/2022
|DIETETICS, SECOND CYCLE DEGREE||24|
ADMISSION LIMITS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2020/2021
|DIETETICS, SECOND CYCLE DEGREE||24|
Break every day from 12:00 - 12:30
Q: For who the qualification procedure is open?
A: The qualification procedure for studies for fields of study pursued in English is open to candidates who have graduated from secondary school and have obtained a certificate entitling them to take up higher education in the country in which the certificate was issued.
Q: What language are the classes conducted in?
A: All classes are conducted in English.
Q: What is the recruitment fee and what does it apply to?
A: It is a fee related to the recruitment procedure for the field of study you are applying for. This amount is determined by the ordinance of the Minister.
Q: What is the amount of the recruitment fee?
A: Recruitment fee is 85 PLN.
Q: Can I get a refund of the enrollment fee?
A: The University will only refund the enrollment fee if:
Q: What are the current tuition fees?
A: List of tuition fees is available at our website Tuition & Fees
Q: How many times a year is recruitment for studies pursued in English?
A: Recruitment for studies pursued in English International program is conducted twice a year: fall semester and spring semester; European program - once a year: fall semester.
Q: Which determines the acceptance of documents for the qualification procedure?
A: Acceptance of documents for the qualification procedure is determined by the date of their receipt by the University. Documents submitted or received after the deadline set by the University Recruitment Committee will not be considered.
Q: What minimum IELTS score is required?
A: According to Polish regulation minimum IELTS score is at least 6.0.
Q: What size and type of photo is required?
A: A color photo is required in the following format: 35 mm / 45 mm, min. 300 DPI.
Q: I would like to transfer from another university and continue my studies at the Medical University of Silesia In Katowice. What conditions do I have to meet?
A: Information on the conditions for transferring is available at our website: Rules for transfer.
Q: Can I prepare for the entrance exam from the database of questions?
A: In order to prepare for the entrance exam please review the following SYLLABUS.
Q: Can I submit documents in a language other than Polish or English?
A: The documents originally issued in a language other than Polish or English should be accompanied by a sworn translation into English.
Q: Where and when I have to submit the documents?
A: Candidates applying for admission to studies pursued in English submit the documents in person at the place and time designated by the University Recruitment Committee or by post.